Friday, July 11, 2008

How can I think outside the box when they won't even let me out of it??

Yesterday I had a long conversation with Marfa about my blog.
I Like my blog.
But I don't like my posting habits. I have somehow adapted some rules for myself that either I think are 'how it's supposed to be' or else it's how I feel like I need to do this thing. Either way, rules are rules and I don't like breaking them. Therefore, if I cain't 'follow the rules', I usually end up not posting at all rather than to break the rules. Which is why I haven't been posting lately.
Some of these rules are:

1. Post in my blog once a day. (I broke that one many times... mostly by not posting at all, but a few times by *gasp* posting twice in the same day! I don't like breaking this rule)

2. My posts should be mostly about me and/or what's happening in my daily life. Exceptions to this rule would include Wordless Wednesday, Thursday Thirteen, etc.

3. Don't write about how I REALLY feel about things or people, because someone I know personally may read it and think less of me. (I already think nobody really likes me anyway, so how much 'less' could it get?? LOL)

4. Don't tell anyone I know personally about my blog or give them the link. That way they cain't read what I post and think how un-Christlike or spiritually 'juvenile' I am.

5. My blog needs a lot of pictures or graphics. I think very few people enjoy reading a blog that is all text.

6. Every post should have labels of every relevant key word.


Basically, like I told Marfa... I guess I always felt like a blog was supposed to be like your daily journal.

Anyways... when we were talking, I realized that I was putting myself in a box of my own making. And as the saying goes... 'realizing the problem is half the answer', so while I still won't break the 5th rule, I do need to work on the rest... even the 3rd and 4th ones (with caution, because while I shouln't care as much what other people think of me, I do need to be always conscious of what my Lord thinks of me). So I think I am going to change up my postings a bit and see what happens.
I want to feel like I'm 'allowed' to create a post just for a link that I find somewhere that I like or think someone else might like, then turn around a couple hours later and create another post about a craft I'm wanting to try, or a meme I like, and still be ok with creating a third post later on that night about what book I'm reading or to show off a pic I took. I want to be ok with stopping in the middle of a post because I don't remember what else I wanted to say and publishing it anyways, creating posts that are out of character for me, or the same type of thing every day, or my daily life, or not post at all without feeling guilty or like I'm breaking the rules!

Can you hear me breaking out of the box here?? LOL

1 comment:

Unknown said...

definitely don't tell anyone you know personally about the blog. i wish i'd never done that because i was always worrying about accidentally letting something slip. now, i really don't care. not very christlike of me, but you shouldn't censor your own thoughts, you know? happy weekend!