Friday, December 5, 2008

My Quilt Blocks

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniuities will I remember no more. Hebrews 10:16-17

Ok, so it's been more than just 'tomorrow'... and I'm still not getting the full story in tonight, but I do have a good reason this time. My monitor is acting up on me and trying to die. Over the weekend I noticed that my screen was quivering... it was the strangest thing! But I rebooted and after a bit it seemed to be ok. Then a few nights ago my hubby was on here (which he almost never is) checking out his family's MySpace pages, and I peripherally saw a flash like a power surge on the screen. After it happened a few times, all of a sudden it just went black. I finally got the monitor back on this morning, but I still left the computer off til I knew whether it was hgoing to stay working or not. So far, so good.

So anyways... I am still quilting. And building my fabric stash. I think this is the longest I have ever done any one 'craft' and I am really happy with that! Usually I last about a month before I'm on to something else, but I have been quilting since August! Love it!

I have discovered that I much prefer to hand-piece wherever I am and make a lot of different blocks using different fabrics rather than doing the same thing over and over in one place by machine. So when I'm home, I try to get as much fabric cut into squares as I can. As long as I have my squares cut and prepared, all I have to do is grab some of them, choose a block pattern, and put all what I need into my quilt tin and go. I try to keep two or three in que just in case I end up going somewhere for longer that I expected. I'd rather have too many than to run out and get caught with none to work on.

Anyways... as soon as I can figure out what glitch is not letting my resize them, I will show you some of the ones I've done. They're not all the best, because while I have figured out how to choose fabrics that go together, I still have a problem with the values. So I end up with two different fabrics that go together very well, but there is no contrast because they are the same value. At least it's something that I am aware of, so I am working at improving. It also helps that I have gotten more fabric cut which gives me more variety.
But on the flip side of that, I am stitching between 10 to 12 stitches per inch... so the quality is pretty good even if I am still learning about the fabric choices.

No comments: